Colorado Springs County Misdemeanor Defense Attorney
Providing Quality, Affordable Legal Services for Your Misdemeanor Case in Colorado Springs
Misdemeanor charges in Colorado can range from a traffic ticket to a sex crime. A misdemeanor is a crime that is punishable by a lengthy jail sentence, fines worth up to thousands of dollars, and a conviction on your criminal record.
At Aviso Law, our criminal defense team is committed to providing our clients with the highest level of service. We will work tirelessly on your behalf to help you obtain the best possible outcome for your case. Our Colorado Springs misdemeanor defense attorney can help you understand your charges and provide you with the representation you need and deserve.
Types of Misdemeanors in Colorado
There are several different types of misdemeanors that can be charged in Colorado. These include:
- Theft crimes, including petty theft, shoplifting, and forgery
- Traffic offenses, such as driving under the influence (DUI), driving with a suspended license, or leaving the scene of an accident
- Sex crimes, including sexual assault and child abuse
- Violent crimes, including assault, domestic violence, and battery
Misdemeanor Penalties in Colorado
In Colorado, misdemeanors are classified into different categories based on their severity. The state follows a three-tiered classification system for misdemeanors, which includes three classes: Class 1 misdemeanor, Class 2 misdemeanor, and Class 3 misdemeanor.
Here's an explanation of each class:
- Class 1 Misdemeanor: This is the most serious category of misdemeanors in Colorado. Class 1 misdemeanors are punishable by a maximum jail term of up to 18 months and/or a fine ranging from $500 to $5,000. Examples of Class 1 misdemeanors in Colorado include theft (when the value is between $750 and $2,000), third-degree assault, domestic violence offenses, certain drug possession offenses, and driving under the influence (DUI) with no prior convictions.
- Class 2 Misdemeanor: Class 2 misdemeanors are less severe than Class 1 misdemeanors but still carry penalties. They are punishable by a maximum jail term of up to 12 months and/or a fine ranging from $250 to $1,000. Examples of Class 2 misdemeanors include theft (when the value is less than $750), criminal mischief, reckless driving, certain drug possession offenses, and harassment.
- Class 3 Misdemeanor: Class 3 misdemeanors are the least serious category of misdemeanors in Colorado. They are punishable by a maximum jail term of up to 6 months and/or a fine ranging from $50 to $750. Examples of Class 3 misdemeanors include simple assault, petty theft (when the value is less than $50), trespassing, possession of drug paraphernalia, and disturbing the peace.
Charged with a Misdemeanor in Colorado Springs?
If you have been charged with a misdemeanor in El Paso County, you need an experienced and dedicated attorney who will work to help you obtain the best possible outcome for your case. Aviso Law is that firm. We are a trusted resource for those who have been charged with a misdemeanor in Colorado Springs and the surrounding area.
Every attorney will tell you they put their clients first. That is true for Aviso Law but it’s how we go about it that sets up apart. We understand the difference between being prepared and aggressive in courtrooms, while being understanding and pragmatic in client meetings. We believe in being realistic as well as easy to work with through all the phases of your case, both in and out of court; this saves you money and time while still receiving the service you deserve with the goal of achieving desired results.
To us, success isn’t measured by the years we’ve spent behind a desk but by the careers we’ve built, the contacts we’ve made, and the thousands of clients we’ve served to protect jobs, families, education, and reputations. We developed our careers in Colorado’s military and civil courts, successfully defending clients from all walks of life. We come highly rated by our clients and have received professional recognition for our work.
Breaking the Mold
We’re not your typical law firm. We don’t wear fancy suits (unless we have to in court) and we don’t hide behind big imposing desks. Reflective on our military roots, we strive to serve. We understand the legal process can be threatening and worrisome, which is why we work with our clients to get results. We aim to be respectful, diligent, and cost-effective while practicing the highest standards of legal representation.