When he’s not helping others with his expert legal skills and advice, you can find Ryan rocking the keyboards with one of several Colorado bands, jamming out to a Red Rocks concert, or hiking, kayaking, running and climbing his way across Colorado’s eclectic terrain. Ryan’s hobbies are 100 percent Colorado, including his volunteer work and active engagement with his community in groups that aid veterans and service members.
Ryan is an experienced, award-winning Colorado lawyer with over 80 successful trials under his belt. Well-versed in several practice areas, including criminal defense, employment law, military law and civil rights, and with a strong background representing individuals in high-profile trials, Ryan provides high-quality, nuanced and effective legal representation to each and every client.
Ryan Coward is a sophisticated trial attorney who has litigated high-profile cases nationally and in Colorado. Mr. Coward has litigated over 80 cases to successful completion and has won numerous jury verdicts. His primary practice areas include criminal defense, military law, employment law, civil rights and appeals.
Prior to founding Aviso Law, Mr. Coward served as an active duty Judge Advocate in the Army for nearly six years. Mr. Coward continues to serve as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Army Reserves JAG Corps. Throughout his career, Mr. Coward has worked on some of the nation’s highest profile cases, representing individuals such as: Army Maj Nidal Hasan, who was accused of murdering 12 soldiers and civilians at Fort Hood, Staff Sergeant Robert Bales (in post-trial matters) who was accused of murdering 16 Afghan civilians in 2012, white collar defendants accused of stealing millions of dollars in tax credits and senior ranking government officials accused of misconduct.
Following Mr. Coward’s departure from active duty, he quickly became recognized as one of Colorado’s most astute and aggressive trial lawyers. Selected as one of Denver’s top lawyers by 5280 Magazine, a Super Lawyers Rising Star, one of the top 100 trials attorneys by The National Trial Lawyers and a top 10 under 40 criminal defense attorney, Mr. Coward seeks to provide the highest quality representation possible to each and every client.
- DePaul University - Chicago, Illinois (B.M., Music, International Studies, 2004)
- University of Illinois Chicago School of Law (J.D., 2007)
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Military Law
- Civil Rights
- Employment Law
- Denver’s Top Lawyers - 5280 Magazine - 2015-2017, 2020
- Super Lawyers Rising Star - Super Lawyers Magazine - 2015-2020
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers - National Trial Lawyers
- Top 10 under 40 Criminal Defense Attorney - National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys - 2015-2020
- Top 40 under 40 - National Trial Lawyers
- The Spirit of John Marshall Award - 2013
- ABA LAMP Committee Award: For Excellence in Legal Assistance - 2008
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Hasan v. United States, 2012 CCA LEXIS 399 (A.C.C.A. 2012)
- Hasan v. Gross, 71 M.J. 416 (C.A.A.F. 2012)